How the Jews Came to Pitigliano
They came because of Rome.
In July 1555, three months after his election, Pope Paul IV issued the bull Cum nimis absurdum, which confined the Jews of Rome to a walled quarter and stripped away rights they had held for centuries. Further measures under his successors expelled Jews from most of the Papal States altogether. Families who had lived in the small towns of Lazio and the Roman countryside for generations were suddenly looking for somewhere to go.
Pitigliano sat exactly where they needed it to be: on the frontier, just beyond the papal border, in a small independent county ruled by the Orsini. The Orsini were no friends of the Pope, and they were governing a poor, thinly populated agricultural territory. Physicians, merchants, weavers and moneylenders arriving with capital and skills were, from their point of view, an opportunity.
The signs of permanence came quickly. In 1556 Count Niccolò IV Orsini granted the physician David de' Pomis a parcel of land at the foot of the town for a Jewish cemeter, a remarkable act of confidence in a decade when Jews elsewhere in Italy were being walled in. In 1598 a weaver named Leone di Sabato funded the construction of a synagogue on the very edge of the cliff, where it still stands.
The shelter did not last. In 1604 the Orsini transferred the fief to the Medici, and by 1608 Pitigliano belonged to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany. In 1622 the Grand Duke Cosimo II imposed a ghetto here as well. Jews lost the right to own land, were restricted in their trades, and were required to wear distinguishing marks: a red hat for men, a red badge for women.
Local memory preserves the moment with unusual specificity. The Grand Duke's messenger, so the story goes, went from house to house and banged on each Jewish door with a stick, ordering the family out. The word for eviction in Italian is sfratto. The town still bakes a sweet in the shape of that stick.